A method to cooking long grain white rice to achieve a perfectly tender and fluffy texture.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups boiling water
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the rice and salt and stir for about 2-4 minutes, until all the rice is coated in the butter and smells toasted.
- Pour in the boiling water, having the lid nearby to cover right away since it will boil vigorously right away.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 8-12 minutes. (It really depends on your stove and the saucepan that your are using.)
- Turn off the heat and let the rice rest, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve. You can add more butter, if you’d like.
Coating the rice in butter will help each grain of rice be distinct and fluffy. Toasting it also gives it great flavor. You can add some onions, garlic and white wine to the butter and cook it until the onions are tender before adding the rice to make it more flavorful.
Keywords: how to cook rice, long grain rice, white rice, basmati, jasmine