Ever since I got married 6 years ago, all of my family has been more than a thousand miles away. At first I was horribly lonesome. Even though I loved my husband and really liked living in Florida, I cried like a baby from homesickness. Over time, I had to get used to it, but this year, my sister got married and joined me here in Florida. What a surprise!
The newlyweds now live just a little over half an hour away and we can see each other anytime. I never knew what it was like to have a sister living within driving distance, since the last time I was still living with my parents, we were all under one roof. Then I spent all my married life being the sister that lives far away and visits a few times a year. Thank God that we live in the modern world and can talk on the phone, text anytime and overcoming more than a thousand miles is not that difficult or impossible.
It’s such a treat to be able to see Milana anytime. We go shopping together, get our nails done, make big batches of food to store in the freezer for easy and quick dinner options later on, or simply sit together and talk. Simply knowing that my very own SISTER is nearby is such a comforting thought.
Now that I’ve bared my soul, let’s talk about the recipe.
Not too long ago, Milana and Andrey invited us over for dinner. She is a wonderful cook and it’s awesome trying all her new creations. She served this salad and we all LOVED it.
Since then, we’ve had a family reunion this Thanksgiving. My brother was marrying here in Florida that weekend (yes, my brother lives in Florida now too. TWO siblings in Florida! Wow! I’m still getting used to the idea.). Milana made this salad for the whole clan and it was a big hit.
Tender spinach leaves pair wonderfully with the sweet strawberries and tomatoes, creamy avocado and crunchy, toasted almonds. There are so many different textures in this salad and it all comes together with a tangy and sweet dressing, made with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, garlic, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
Cut the avocado in half, score and scoop it out. Squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado, this will keep it from browning too quickly. Top the spinach/spring greens with sliced strawberries, avocado, tomatoes, shallot/red onion and toasted almonds. Drizzle with the dressing.
- 1 box/bag spinach or spring greens mix
- ½ (1 lb) box strawberries
- 1-2 avocados
- ½ lemon, to squeeze over the avocado
- ⅛ cup toasted almonds
- 1 small box grape tomatoes
- 1 large shallot or small or half red onion
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey
- 2-3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- salt, pepper
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together. Set aside.
- Cut the avocado in half, score and scoop it out. Squeeze the lemon juice over the avocado, this will keep it from browning too quickly.
- Top the spinach/spring greens with sliced strawberries, avocado, tomatoes, shallot/red onion and toasted almonds.
- Drizzle with the dressing.