The simplest recipe for really flavorful and juicy grilled shrimp. The lemon, garlic and fresh herbs are the perfect marinate to season the shrimp with just a few ingredients to give the biggest taste impact.
- 1 1/2 lbs large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teasppon ground black pepper
- 1–2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil, plus more for brushing on shrimp right before grilling
- Peel the shrimp and devein it, if necessary. Many times, shrimp is already sold deveined, but if it’s not, all you have to do is make a shallow cut along the middle of the back of the shrimp to expose the black “vein”, and lift it out. A paring knife of kitchen scissors work well for this.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mixing to combine. You can grill the shrimp right away, or do this in advance, which will flavor the shrimp even more.
- Thread the shrimp on the skewers and brush them with some more oil on both sides. You should have 6-8 kebabs. Brushing the shrimp with oil will help to give them a sear as soon as you place them on the grill, so that you can get those grill marks faster and not overcook the shrimp. If you are marinating the shrimp in advance, wait to brush them with oil right before putting them on the grill. If you’re using bamboo skewers, soak them for about 10 minutes in water first, that way they won’t burn when you’re grilling.
- Preheat the grill for about 15 minutes on high heat. Before putting the food on the grill, dip a wad of paper towels in oil, and go over the grill grates with the oil 3-5 times. This will clean the grill grates even more and coat the grates with several layers of oil, which will make them somewhat nonstick, helping to prevent food from sticking to the grates too much.
- Place the shrimp on the preheated grill and grill until you have nicely charred grill marks, 4-5 minutes, flip them onto the other side and only grill for another 1-2 minutes. Be very careful not to overcook the shrimp. They will still continue to cook after you take them off the heat.
- Serve immediately and squeeze more fresh lemon juice on the shrimp.
Keywords: grilled shrimp, lemon and garlic grilled shrimp, shrimp skewers, juicy grilled shrimp