This past weekend I was visiting my family in New York. We were able to be a part of THREE important family events. My sister, Milana, is getting married this September and we had a bridal shower for her on Saturday.
On Sunday, we were able to celebrate with my brother, Valentin when he got baptized.
This is most of the family, minus our brother Mark, who really wanted to come but just started a new job and couldn’t take the time off. We missed you, Mark:(.
We had an incredible time! It was wonderful seeing my family again. I had been so homesick lately. New York is beautiful right now, too. I love New York landscape. The weather this time of year is excellent too. It was warm but not humid during the day and refreshingly cool at night. The fresh air sure can’t compare to the polluted city that we’re used to. I just kept filling my lungs and hoping it would “soak in”.
We had a lot of help getting this event going. It’s defnitely nice having sisters! Even the men did SO much to help, with the decorations and even grilling. Although they left at the beginning of the shower and went bowling:). Sergi decorated the Cannoli Cake with beautiful rosettes. Elina and Vitaliya did a superb job decorating. Everything looked so elegant. Saturday was also Dad and Mom’s 27th wedding anniversary! Congratulations to the happy couple, who really are such a great example of what it’s like to stay in love for so many years. It was sunny all day but started pouring in the afternoon, just after the guests began to arrive.
Sergi got soaked to the skin grilling the chicken kebabs. They were delicious. So moist and flavorful. My man knows his way around a grill:).
- Grilled Chicken Kebabs – My Mom marinated them, but I have a recipe of my own version of Grilled Chicken Kebabs on the blog.
- Mashed Potatoes
- Russian Salad “Olivie”
- Chicken Salad in Tart Shells
- Russian Beet Salad – Herring Under a Fur Coat
- Antipasto Pasta Salad
- Tomato, Roasted Corn and Avocado Salad
- Garlic Dill Cucumbers
- Stuffed Eggs With Bacon and Caramelized Onions
- Turkey Pinwheels With Roasted Veggie Spread
- “Piece of Cake” Cake made by my Mom
- Pizzelles With Cream Cheese Filling or Trubochki, as we call them, made by Elina.
- Vafli With Dulche De Leche Filling
- Raspberry-Currant Cake Roll
- Cheesecake With Strawberries made by one of Milana’s friends
- Chocolate Cupcakes With Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
- Lemon Cupcakes With Limoncello- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Almond Cookies, Peach Pastries and Sponge Cake (log shaped with tiny mushrooms) pastries made by one of Mom’s friends
We played some fun games, such as What’s In Your Purse, where everyone was awarded a certain amount of points for things that they had in their purses and the one with the most points won. Who knew that some people carry toothbrushes, sewing kits or teabags in their purse?
Milana’s bridesmaids asked Andrey, Milana’s fiance, a bunch of questions ahead of time and recorded on a phone. At the party, they asked Milana the same questions and she got almost all of them right. Wow. This game was so much fun! I guess they know each other really well:).
We all wrote down memories that we shared with Milana and she had to guess which one of us wrote it. She got to keep them all on this crafty board. It took some time to open all the presents. Milana got SO many cool presents. She has almost everything she will need to start housekeeping. It was a great evening. Thank you to everyone who came and all our wonderful helpers.