Yield: 6 quarts
- 1 chicken, skinned and breast removed
- 1 large onion, quartered, with the skin
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 3–5 black peppercorns
- Place all the ingredients into a large stockpot, at least 8 quarts.
- Fill it to the top with good filtered water.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about an hour.
- Skim off the foam from the top of the chicken broth.
- Line a strainer with paper towels or a coffee filter and strain the broth.