In the middle of a cold winter, when lots of hearty and comforting meals are taking center stage, it nice to break up the routine with something that tastes summery and fresh. Also, who doesn’t like a really easy recipe that is packed with flavor?
These wraps taste so crunchy and juicy. The lettuce and the cucumber really elevate the common deli meat and cheese wrap to something special. The Creamy Avocado Spread that pulls it all together deserves a standing ovation all on its own. Talk about flavors and perfect creaminess!
When we were in New York for Christmas, we of course had to visit both of my sisters. It’s still so hard to believe that all of my siblings are married and every single one of us has a spouse and a home of our own. It’s so fun to see each one in their own element, where they are the “hozyain/hozyaika”:). (That translates from Russian to “homeowner/housewife”.)
My baby sister and her husband Eddie had us all over to their home one evening. Karina whipped up 2 types of sandwiches and these Chicken Cucumber Wraps with a snap of her fingers. That girl is so talented! She’s been coming up with all kinds of treats for all of us since she was really little. As the youngest, she was often asked to come up with some kind of snack, especially by one of our brothers. “Karina, hook me up”, they would say and she would happily start rummaging through the refrigerator and cupboards and come up with something fantastic. She is just so sweet and thoughtful. We all loved her treats so much, I recreated the wraps a few days later with Karina and Sergi’s help at my parents’ house to share on the blog. This recipe is a keeper, either as a lunch or an appetizer.
Creamy Avocado Spread
1 bunch fresh parsley
thyme, basil, rosemary, optional
1/2-1 Tablespoon pesto, optional
1 garlic clove
2-4 Tablespoons olive oil
juice of half a lemon or lime
1/4 cup Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
salt and ground black pepper, to taste
This spread is so creamy, fresh and flavorful and very versatile too. Use it as a dip for veggies or chips, or spread it on bread to make many other sandwiches or wraps. BLT sandwiches would be awesome with this spread.
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- thyme, basil, rosemary, optional
- ½-1 Tablespoon pesto, optional
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 avocado
- 2-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- juice of half a lemon or lime
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt or mayonnaise
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Yields: Approximately 1 cup spread
- 6 tortillas, any kind that you like
- 1 cup Creamy Avocado Spread
- 10 oz chicken or turkey deli, thinly sliced
- 6 slices cheese, any kind that you like (I used Russian cheese, which is similar to Havarti)
- ¼ - ½ of a head of iceberg lettuce (you can also use any other lettuce, such as romaine, arugula or even spinach)
- ½ of an English cucumber, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, pulse the herbs and garlic until finely chopped.
- Scoop out the avocado and add it to the food processor with the olive oil and lemon/lime juice, pulsing until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the Greek yogurt or use mayonnaise instead.
- You can also add some pesto to the spread and it really gave a lot of awesome flavor to the spread.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- You can easily make this spread by hand, without a food processor. Finely chop the herbs and garlic, mash the avocado with a fork and mix in the rest of the ingredients by hand as well.
- Top each of the tortillas with some of the avocado spread and then place the deli meat, cheese, lettuce and cucumber in the center of the tortilla. I like to season it with more salt and pepper.
- Roll the tortilla around the filling ingredients.
- Serve the tortilla wraps whole or cut them into pinwheels.