Pelmeni – the famous Russian meat-filled dumplings. This recipe has a really unique dough that is so easy to make and is a dream to work with. The pork filling has the addition of napa cabbage, onion and garlic, which add flavor but also make the filling incredibly tender.
- 2 cups water
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 lbs ground meat (I prefer pork)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 head napa cabbage (finely chopped (about 4 cups))
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 Tablespoons of water
- In a medium pot, bring the water and butter to a boil.
- Add the salt and two cups of flour all at once.
- Mix vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Take off the heat, cool slightly and add the eggs.
- Add the remaining four cups of flour.
- Mix until combined.
- Cover, and set aside, letting the dough rest for about 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add the onions and cook for about 5-7 min, until tender and starting to turn slightly golden.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add to the ground meat.
- Add the cabbage. It should be cut very finely.
- Add the salt, pepper and water and mix to combine.
Assembling the Pelmeni:
- Roll out the dough into a thin sheet.
- Cut out 3 inch circles, using a biscuit cutter or a cup.
- Place 1 heaping Tablespoon of meat in the center. Fold it in half.
- Pinch the edges together, making sure not to have any air remain.
- Take hold of the corners and pinch them together.
- Sprinkle flour on a wooden board and arrange pelmeni in a single layer on top of the flour.
- Place in the freezer for 20-30 min, until the pelmeni are hard.
- Transfer the pelmeni in a ziptop bag and store in the freezer.
- Add 1 bay leaf, 3-5 peppercorns to a pot of water. Season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Add the pelmeni, (no need to thaand cook just until the pelmeni float to the top, about 5 min. Make sure not to overcook them.
- Serve with butter, sour cream, vinegar, fresh herbs, etc.
- Yields: 150-200 pelmeni