The most delicious fruit salad that stays fresh for days is almost unheard of, but this one works so well. Not only does it tastes delicious and full of tropical flavors – oranges, peaches, nectarines, mangos, apples and bananas, but you can prepare a large bowl and enjoy it all week long.
- 3 oranges (peeled and chopped)
- 4 peaches or nectarines (chopped)
- 1 mango (chopped)
- 2 apples (chopped)
- 3 bananas (sliced)
Lemon Orange Syrup:
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- Cut the ends off the oranges. Place the orange upright on one of the flat ends and use your knife to cut slices from the top to the bottom, removing all the white pith. Cut the oranges into cubes.
- If you're using peaches, peel them first. If you're using nectarines, you can keep the skin on and chop.
- Peel the mango and chop. Place all the fruit in a large bowl.
- Make the Lemon Orange Glaze. Squeeze out all the juice from the ends and slices of the oranges that you used. (You can also use bottled orange juice instead.) You can even place the fruit over a colander while you are chopping all the fruit and use the juice that you get from the fruit for the glaze.
- Place the fruit juice, lemon juice and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the syrup thickens, about 5 minutes. Cool.
- Chop the apples (you can leave the skin on or off, it's up to you).
- Add to the rest of the chopped fruit.
- Pour the cooled Lemon Orange Syrup over the chopped fruit and mix to combine.
- You can store the fruit salad in the refrigerator for 3-5 days and it will stay fresh.
- Slice the bananas and add to the fruit salad right before serving.