Bacon and Onion Brussels Sprouts
These Bacon and Onion Brussels Spouts are prepared with a perfect method to achieve perfectly tender and caramelized sprouts that makes them completely irresistible.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Sides
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or any other mild flavored oil, such as grapeseed, avocado, canola, sunflower, etc.)
- salt, ground black pepper
- 2–4 strips of bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium red onion (a yellow onion works just as well)
- 3–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, placing a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven, so that it will heat up as the oven is preheating.
- Meanwhile, cut all the brussels sprouts in half. In a large bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper and the olive oil, mixing to combine.
- When the oven is preheated, take the hot baking sheet out of the oven and place the brussels sprouts onto the baking sheet cut side down. Cover the baking sheet with aluminum foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it’s mostly cooked through.
- Add the red onion to the bacon and continue cooking, on low heat, uncovered, until the onions are tender. If there isn’t enough bacon grease and the onions start to get too brown before they are cooked through, pour in a little bit of water and continue cooking until the onions are tender.
- Scrape some of the bacon-onion mixture away from the bottom of the skillet and add the minced garlic to that spot, cooking the garlic for 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar, mix it all to combine and then place into the same large bowl that you used to toss the brussels sprouts.
- When the brussels sprouts have roasted for 10 minutes, uncover them (discard the foil) and continue roasting for another 10-12 minutes.
- When they are cooked through and golden on the bottom, mix them together with the bacon and onions. Serve warm.
Keywords: Bacon and Onion Brussels Sprouts, How to Roast Brussels Sprouts