The most amazing Apple Cranberry Pie with a crisp and flaky golden crust and juicy sweet apple filling. The apples and cranberries pair really nicely together and the most amazing combination is serving the pie warm with a cold scoop of ice cream.
- 1 cup (16 Tablespoons) butter, very cold
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 6–8 Tablespoons ice water
- 3 lbs apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- egg wash – 1 egg and 1 Tablespoon water or milk
- I start out with placing the butter and the water into the freezer while I am taking out the rest of the ingredients and getting everything set up so that they are extra cold.
- Place the flour, salt, and sugar into a food processor and add the cold butter pieces. Pulse until there are pea-sized pieces of butter in the flour.
- In a medium bowl or cup, combine the egg, sour cream and 3 Tablespoons of ice cold water. Pour this mixture into the flour and pulse to combine again. Keep adding more water, one Tablespoon at a time until the pie dough starts to come together. Don’t overmix it.
- Dump it all out onto the counter and quickly knead it together until all the loose flour is incorporated into the dough, but don’t overwork it. Be very quick, since you don’t want your warm hands to melt the butter in the dough. Divide the dough in half, and wrap each in parchment paper, plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place into the refrigerator to chill at least for 1 hour. You can store it in the refrigerator a few days or in the freezer for a month.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the cranberries in half and toss with 1-2 Tablespoons of the sugar. I like to do this because cranberries are really tart and this gives the sugar a better chance to soak into the berries and sweeten them up a bit.
- Peel and slice the apples and place them into a large bowl with the cranberries, the rest of the sugar, lemon juice and salt. Set aside for at least 30 minutes. Drain all the juice that will accumulate in the bottom of the bowl. I got almost 1/2 a cup! This will keep the pie filling from becoming too watery.
- Add the flour to the drained filling and toss it together until all the apples and cranberries are coated in flour.
Assembling and Baking the Pie:
- Roll out one of the discs of the pie dough into a 12-14 inch circle.
- Ease it gently into a deep dish pie plate.
- Keep the pie dough cold at all times. Fill the pie with the apple cranberry filling and dot the top of it with the 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Place the filled pie into the refrigerator while you work on the top crust.
- Roll out the second pie crust and make it into a lattice top, or whatever kind of topping you like. Crimp the edges of the pie to make a pretty edge all the way around. Brush the top of the crust with the egg wash.
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 50-60 minutes.
Keywords: Apple Cranberry Pie, How to Bake an Apple Pie, Traditional Apple Pie recipe, Classic Apple Pie Recipe, Apple Pie a la mode