Strawberries and cream mousse – a creamy, billowy and fluffy dessert, that’s a refreshing and luscious summer treat. It would also be the perfect end to a romantic meal.
- 1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 pounds strawberries, divided
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (plus 1 – 1 1/2 cups more, to garnish, optional with powdered sugar)
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour the water into a small or medium bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top of it. Mix until all the gelatin is saturated in the water. Set aside for about 5 minutes for the gelatin to bloom.
- Meanwhile, hull and chop 1 pound of strawberries. Sprinkle 3 Tablespoons of sugar over the strawberries and allow to stand for about 5 minutes as well.
- Pulse a few times in a food processor or mash the berries together finely.
- Whip the cold cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Melt the gelatin in the microwave for about 30 seconds or in a small saucepan on the stovetop on low heat just until the gelatin dissolves. Do NOT boil.
- Pour the gelatin into the pureed berries and fold carefully into the whipped cream.
- If you’re serving the mousse within 12-18 hours, chop the remaining pound of strawberries and sprinkle with 1 1/2 -3 Tablespoons of sugar. Mix.
- Place some of the strawberries (about half) into the bottom of each individual serving container. Top with the mousse mixture. Transfer the mousse mixture into a large ziplock bag, cut off one of the corners and pour the mousse mixture into individual serving containers. (You can also use a spoon or pour it from the bowl, but it will be a bit messier.)
- Chill for about 4 hours in the refrigerator until the mousse is set.
- Garnish with the remaining chopped berries and more whipped cream.
The mousse will stay fresh for at least 3 days in the refrigerator if you don’t use the fresh chopped berries in the bottom of the serving containers. If you want the mousse to stay fresh longer, don’t add fresh berries to the bottom or top of the mousse until you are serving it.
Keywords: strawberries and cream, strawberry mousse, no bake dessert