Yeast Pancakes (Oladi)
These yeast pancakes that are so airy and fluffy, full of nooks and crannies. We love them served with a sweet sour cream and jam or fresh berries.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
- Yield: 25-30 oladi 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 cups of milk, warm (105–110 degrees)
- 1/2 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 Tablespoons oil for the dough, plus more for pan frying (I like avocado oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- sour cream + powdered sugar, for serving
- jam, fresh berries, for serving
- Mix the milk, yeast, sugar and flour in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until the dough doubles, 30-50 minutes.
- When the dough has doubled in size, add the eggs, oil and salt. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Cover and repeat rising time, once again until the dough doubles.
- Heat a few Tablespoons of oil in a nonstick skillet on medium heat.
- Since the dough is VERY sticky, the dough sticks to the spoon mercilessly and you will have a mess on your hands. Fill a mug with water, and dunk your spoon in the water EVERY time you get more dough. Gently scoop the dough, trying not to deflate it as much as possible. The dough doesn’t stick to the spoon and effortlessly slides right off and into the skillet.
- Cook, until golden on both sides.
- Drain on a paper towel. Enjoy with sour cream, jam, berries, etc.
- One of my favorite variations from my mom are oladi in sweet sour cream. Whisk up sour cream with sugar and vanilla and dunk each pancake in the sour cream. Layer all the oladi in a bowl and the sweet sour cream will seep in to the oladi, making them even more tender and juicy.
Keywords: yeast pancakes, oladi, how to make yeast pancakes, overnight pancakes