Homemade Crab Cakes are absolutely out of this world delicious. With large chunks of sweet crab meat, the patties are flavored with bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic. The creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce is just the thing to serve with them.
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- 4 Tablespoon oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt, ground black pepper
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3–4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup flour, for dredging (you can also use breadcrumbs instead)
Roasted Rep Pepper Sauce:
- 1/2 of a small roasted red pepper, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha or any hot sauce, optional
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallot (you can use red or yellow onion)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1/2 Tablespoon parsley or cilantro, chopped
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- lemon juice, optional
- Heat 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the onion, cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes and then add the bell pepper, jalapeño, celery and garlic. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Cool slightly.
- Place the crab meat in a large bowl, carefully picking through the crab meat and getting rid of any shell pieces.
- Add the sautéed vegetables, panko breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise, parsley, Old Bay seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ground black pepper. Mix gently to combine, being very careful not to break apart the crab meat.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. You can even make this a day in advance. If you don’t refrigerate the crab mixture, it will be too fragile to work with.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup, form the crab mixture into balls and flatten them out slightly to make your crab cakes.
- Dredge them in the flour. You can also use bread crumbs to coat the crab cakes in instead of the flour.
- Heat 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil in a nonstick skillet. Add half of the crab cakes to the hot oil and cook on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side until the crab cakes are golden brown on both sides. Repeat with the remaining crab cakes. Serve with the Red Pepper Sauce or any other sauce that you like.
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Taste the sauce. If you want it to have a little more acidity, add some lemon juice.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.