- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb large raw shrimp
- salt, ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced (you can use a small onion instead)
- 3–5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups broth (clam, vegetable, shrimp or chicken)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1–2 Tablespoons fresh herbs – parsley and basil
- Peel and devein the shrimp.
- You can save the shrimp shells and make a delicious shrimp broth to use it in this recipe. Place the shrimp shells in a medium pot with some aromatics, such as onion, garlic, celery, parsley, bay leaves, whole peppercorns and salt. Fill the pot with water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 30-45 minutes. Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the shrimp shells and the aromatics. You can use canned clam juice, vegetable broth or chicken broth in this recipe instead of the shrimp broth.
- Prep all your ingredients and have them ready to go into the skillet because things happen fast.
- Make sure the shrimp are really dry before you add them to the hot skillet by blotting them on a paper towel. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Add half of the oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering on high heat. Add half of the shrimp and cook for about 2-3 minutes on one side and 1 more minute on the other side. Set the shrimp aside in a bowl and repeat with the other half of the shrimp.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. In the same skillet, add the butter and the shallot, scraping the bottom of the skillet to get all the fond off. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the shallot softens and is slightly golden. Add the garlic and the tomato paste, stirring to combine. Add the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Pour in the broth, whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens about 5 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and the lemon or lime juice.
- Off the heat, stir in the heavy cream. Return the shrimp to the sauce, along with any accumulated juices. Add the feta cheese and the fresh herbs.
- Serve the shrimp as an appetizer with a crusty baguette or as an entree with the pasta of your choice. You can also add some olives if you’d like. This will serve 2-4 people depending on your appetites and whether you serve it with pasta as an entree or as an appetizer.