Breakfast Quesadillas are crisp and crunchy tortillas with soft and fluffy eggs and melted cheese in the center with many flavor combinations.
2 – 4 Tablespoons butter
4 flour tortillas, medium or large
salt, ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup grated cheese, finely shredded (mozzarella, provolone, cheddar, monterey jack, colby, swiss, romano, asiago, etc.)
filling ingredients of your choice, finely chopped: cooked bacon, sausage, ham, tomatoes, peppers, fresh herbs (green onions, parsley, cilantro), spinach, sautéed mushrooms, etc.
- Melt 1/2 Tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet or a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Whisk 1 egg in a bowl with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper.
- Place one tortilla in the skillet, sprinkle some of the grated cheese over the surface of the tortilla, making a thick border of cheese around the edge of the tortilla to keep the eggs from spilling over the edge.
- Slowly pour the whisked egg into the center of the tortilla, over the grated cheese, trying to keep the egg from spilling over the edge.
- Cover the skillet, reduce to low and cook until eggs are barely set.
- Sprinkle the filling ingredients of your choice over half of the quesadilla.
- Fold quesadilla in half, increase heat to med-high and cook another 1-2 min, per side, until golden on both sides and the eggs are cooked through. It’s important to flip the tortilla in half when the eggs are almost set but still a tad bit runny.
- Wipe out the skillet before repeating the steps until you have all the quesadillas cooked. You can keep the quesadillas warm in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit while you are cooking all of them.
- Serve the quesadillas warm with your choice of additional options – sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo, sliced avocados, guacamole, fresh or pickled jalapeños, hatch valley salsa, fresh herbs, etc.
Keywords: breakfast quesadilla, eggs, tortillas, egg quesadilla