Cranberry-Raspberry Cake Roll
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 37 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sweets
Yields: one cake roll
- 3 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 a stick) butter, melted
- 4 oz cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 4 oz raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a 15×17 in baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with baking spray.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the berries with the sugar.
- Cover and allow to cook on medium heat until the sugar melts. Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and keep the berries simmering.
- Cook for 10-15 min.
- Mash with a potato masher or combine in a food processor/blender.
- Strain the cooked berries through a fine mesh sieve to get a smooth jam.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a heatproof bowl.
- Place over a pot with about 1-2 inches of boiling water. Whisk until the sugar dissolves and the eggs are slightly warm.
- Place in a large bowl and mix with a whisk attachment for about 6 min, or until the eggs are light yellow and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and salt and gently fold in with a rubber spatula.
- When you have about half the flour incorporated,slowly pour the melted butter into the batter and continue gently folding.
- Pour into prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 5-7 min.
- Place the cake upside down on a clean kitchen towel. Carefully remove the parchment paper and roll the cake into the towel while it’s still hot.
- Allow to cool.
- Whip the cream in a chilled bowl and chilled whisk attachment. Set aside.
- With a paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- When the cake roll is cool, unroll it, and spread the jam evenly over the surface. Put dollops of cream cheese frosting on top of the jam and then carefully spread it our over the jam.
- Roll up the cake roll.
- Dust with powdered sugar and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.