The fluffy layers of this honey cake are frosted with a creamy sour cream frosting. This is such a tender and delicious cake, perfect for any occasion. Decorated with almonds and fruit, it’s also classically beautiful.
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 (8 oz. packages) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, or to taste
Optional garnishes to decorate the cake:
- toasted almonds
- 1–2 mangos or peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 box strawberries, halved or sliced
- 2 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Cut out parchment paper to fit into the bottom of 2 round cake pans. You can use either 9 or 10 inch pans. Do NOT use butter or oil to brush the sides of the cake pans.
- Using a hand mixer or a standing mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and gradually add in the sugar. Mix until the eggs are pale and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
- Add the honey.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and the baking soda. Sift the dry ingredients over the batter and gently fold it in using a rubber spatula until all the flour is incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two can pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes for the 10 inch cakes and the 9 inch cakes will take longer to bake through in the center.
- Take out the cake layers from the oven, cool for 5 minutes. Use a thin knife to go around the edges of the cake and gently take the cakes out of the cake pan. Place on a cooling rack and cool completely. You can bake the cake layers up to 3 days in advance, but if you don’t use them within the first few hours, cover them with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap to keep from drying out and to keep the cake layers fresh.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting.
- With a hand mixer or using a standing mixer and a paddle attachment, mix together the cream cheese and condensed milk, until they are smooth. Use only half a can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla. In another bowl and using a whisk attachment, whip up the chilled heavy cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until the frosting is smooth.
- Place some aluminum foil around the edges of the plate where you’ll be assembling the cake. This will keep the sides of the plate clean while you’re working with drippy frosting, crumbs and almonds.
- Cut each cake layer in half horizontally.
- Generously spread each cake layer with frosting. Don’t smoosh the cake too much while you’re doing it.
- Spread more frosting on the sides and top of the cake. You may need to chill the cake in the refrigerator for a few hours until the frosting has soaked into the cake and to make frosting it much easier. I usually assemble and frost the cake the day before I am planning to serve it.
- Using the palms of your hands, coat the sides of the cake with toasted almonds. Decorate the top of the cake with fruit. If you’re going to be serving the cake the next day, leave the fruit off the cake and decorate it before serving.
Keywords: Honey Layer Cake, Russian Honey Cake, Fluffy Honey Layer Cake, How To Make a Honey Cake