Shortbread Cookies With Jam (Split-Second Cookies)
Split Second Cookies are shortbread cookies with jam. They are tender and buttery, usually with raspberry jam in the center. They are so soft, they just melt in your mouth. Not only are they so tasty, but they are one of the easiest cookies to make.
- Author: Olga's Flavor Factory
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 60 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 3/4 cup butter (softened to room temperature)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam/jelly or preserves (or any kind of jam that you like)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper for easier cleanup later, or you can just use an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy using a standing mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter into 4 pieces. Roll each portion of dough into a log, then flatten and shape the log into a 12″ X 3/4″ rectangle.
- Make an indentation in the center of the rectangle. Fill the center with about 2 Tablespoons of jam. I usually use seedless raspberry jam, but any jam will work in this recipe.
- Repeat with the remaining 3 portions of dough. Place 2 sections of shaped and filled rectangles on each cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, just until the edges are lightly golden. (Most ovens will only need 15 minutes. Do not overbake.)
- Cool the cookies for about 5 minutes and then cut them on a diagonal into 3/4 inch pieces while still warm.
- Store the cookies at room temperature, covered lightly after 1 day, for 3-5 days, but they are best the first few days.
Keywords: shortbread cookies with jam, split-second cookies, sliced shortbread jam cookies, easy cookie recipe