Cod Fish Tacos
These Cod Fish Tacos are made with flaky and juicy cod, avocado crema, tomatoes, cabbage mix and the most incredible pickled onions all wrapped in a soft flour tortilla.
- Author: Olga's Flavor Factory
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course
- 4 shallots or 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar (or any other vinegar)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek or plain (unflavored yogurt)
- 1 garlic clove (grated)
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon each (chopped cilantro, green onion)
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons milk or buttermilk (to thin out the avocado crema)
- 1 1/2 lbs cod (or any other fish, cut into 1 1/2″ strips)
- seasoning mixes such as (lemon pepper seasoning, Old Bay, paprika, chili lime seasoning)
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons oil (for frying)
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1/2 zucchini (cut into thin strips or grated), or cucumber
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 1–2 Tablespoons cilantro (parsley, green onion, etc.)
- Slice the shallots or red onion and put them in a jar or bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Cook just until it reaches a simmer and all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the shallots/onion. Set aside while you are preparing the rest of the meal. The pickled onions will be good in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients for the avocado crema until smooth. Season with with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. You can add more or less lime juice, depending on how you like it. Also, you can add a splash more milk or buttermilk to thin it out more, if you want to.
Other Taco Toppings
- Prep all your toppings – shred the cabbage, grate the carrot and zucchini, chop the tomatoes, cilantro and green onions. Toss the cabbage, carrot, zucchini, and herbs together.
Cooking the Fish
- Cut the fish fillets into 1 1/2″ strips.
- Season the fish with salt, ground black pepper and any seasoning mixes that you like. I use lemon pepper seasoning, chili lime seasoning, paprika, and Old Bay.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook the fish until it’s golden brown and cooked through on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
Assembling the Tacos
- Heat the tortillas in a skillet or the microwave to warm.
- Place the cabbage mixture in the center of the tortillas, top with the fish, pickled onions and tomatoes. Drizzle with the Avocado Crema.
- When I serve Tacos for guests, I make a bar with all the different components and then everyone can customize their tacos any way they want.
Keywords: cod fish tacos, homemade fish tacos, easy fish tacos