A colorful rainbow jello dessert is so perfect for the warm summer months. It’s relatively easy to make and is perfect for birthday parties, summer barbecues or many a treat for your little ones. This version uses juice for for the colored layers – omitting all the unnecessary sugar, artificial dyes and other chemicals.
Rainbow Gelatin Layers:
- 2 cups juice (for each layer)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (for each layer)
White Gelatin Layers:
- 1 1/2 cans (14 oz cansweetened condensed milk
- 7 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet, 9 x 13 inches, to be used for the Rainbow Jello.
- In a large bowl, pour in 1 cup of juice and sprinkle 3 1/2 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin over it. Set aside for the gelatin to bloom for about 5 minutes.
- Place the other cup of juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Â Pour the boiling cup of juice over the bloomed gelatin and juice and whisk to combine until all the gelatin is dissolved.
- Pour this mixed juice mixture into the prepared baking dish and place into the refrigerator to set for about 30 minutes.
- While you are waiting, prepare the next layer. As soon as you pour one layer into the baking sheet and place into the refrigerator, start making the next layer, so it has a chance to cool off a bit, before you pour it over the set layer. If the juice mixture is too hot, it will melt the chilled layer and the colors might mix together. You don’t want to mix them too far in advance too, or the juice will start to set.
- For the white layer, I prepared 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, distributed it among the layers and finished off with another 1/2 of another sweetened condensed milk, so that it wouldn’t set as all the different layers were chilling in the refrigerating.
- Mix 1/2 cup of water with 5 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin and set aside to bloom for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil 1 3/4 cups of water. When the gelatin blooms for 5 minutes, whisk together the bloomed gelatin, 1 (14 ocan of sweetened condensed milk and the 1 3/4 cups boiling water. Mix until all the gelatin is dissolved.
- After the first layer of juice chills for 30 minutes, pour 1 1/2 cups of the milk mixture carefully over the chilled layer. Set for 30 minutes.
- Repeat, making the other juice layers, alternating a rainbow color with a white layer. When you've used all the white mixture, making another half of a batch.
- Bloom 2 1/2 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin in 1/4 cup of water, then whisk with 1/2 (14 ocan of sweetened condensed milk and 3/4 cup of boiling water.
- Keep the Layered Rainbow Jello Refrigerated until you are ready to serve it.
1. If you want to use the typical boxed Jello, mix 1 (3 oz) package of Jello with 1 cup boiling water and 1 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin until all the gelatin dissolves. Repeat with all the colored layers, alternating with the white layers.
2. The rainbow color order if you use all colors: purple, blue, green, yellow, orange red.