- 2 lbs beef, chuck
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2–3 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3 cups broth, chicken or beef or water
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, optional
- oil, salt, pepper
- Cut the meat into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat up 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil in a skillet over high heat. When the skillet is very hot, add the beef in a single layer. You will need to do this in batches. Brown all over. This will give tremendous flavor to the goulash.
- Add onions to the meat, season with salt, cover and cook on medium heat until softened.
- Add carrots, season with salt and pepper, then cover and cook on medium heat until softened.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, paprika and chili powder. Cook for about a minute and then add the flour. Stir until completely incorporated into the meat and vegetables.
- Add water or broth a little bit at a time, scraping the botom of the skillet and stirring so that there are no lumps. Add the rest of the liquid and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 1 1/2 hours, until meat is fork-tender. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.