Plov is a favorite beef and rice meal in the Russian cuisine. The tender beef, prepared with carrots, onions, along with a collection of spices, flavors the rice that cooks perfectly in the pressure cooker and cooks it in a fraction of the time.
- 3 lbs top sirloin beef (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2–3 Tablespoons oil (avocado, sunflower, grape seed, light olive oil, etc.)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 3 carrots (cut into julienne)
- 2–4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt (ground black pepper, to taste)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1–2 teaspoons paprika
- 1–2 teaspoons dry herb mixture (optional)
- 3 cups long grain white rice
- Turn on the Instant Pot. Using the “Saute” function on the Instant Pot, adjust the heat to “More”. Add the oil and when the oil is hot, brown the beef in batches, until golden brown on both sides.
- Don’t crowd the beef. If you add too much beef, it will begin to steam and you won’t get a sear on the meat. As you brown on batch of meat, remove it from the Instant Pot and set it aside in another bowl. If the bottom of the Instant Pot starts to burn, pour in a bit of water, scrape out the burned bit, pour out the water, wipe out the inner chamber and start again.
- When you start a new batch of beef browning in the Instant Pot, add a bit more oil, enough to cover the bottom of the pot, and heat it up until the oil is shimmering again before adding the beef. This should happen very quickly.
- When you have browned all the beef (just get it brown on the outside, it will still be raw in the center), add more oil, if needed, heat it again and add the onions, carrots and garlic. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Mix to combine and cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Return the beef to the Instant Pot and season with more salt, ground black pepper, paprika, cumin and other dry herbs or seasoning blends that you like.
- Pour in about 2 1/2 cups of water, enough to just cover the meat and vegetables. Add the bay leaf. Cover the Instant Pot with the lid. Turn the valve to “Sealing”.
- Turn on the “Manual” mode, high pressure, for 15 minutes.
- Use the quick release option to release the pressure and open the Instant Pot.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Add the rice, spreading it out on top of the meat and vegetables, being careful not to mix it in too much, leaving it on the top layer.
- Pour in another 2 1/2 cups of hot water on top of the rice, once again being careful not to disturb the rice too much. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Cover the Instant Pot again and turn the valve to “Sealing”.
- Turn on the “Manual” mode, High Pressure, for 3 minutes. When the Instant Pot turns off, let it stand for 3-5 minutes and then use the Quick Release option to release the pressure and open the Instant Pot. Use a fork to fluff up the rice and mix the rice with the beef and vegetables.
This recipe is for a large batch of Plov. Feel free to halve the recipe; keep the cooking times the same.