Mom’s Braised Potatoes – “Тушеная Картошка”
Braised Potatoes were my Mom’s signature dish when my siblings and I were growing up. The tender potatoes with juicy pork or chicken has carrots and onions to give it a rich and hearty flavor, made with simple ingredients that are most likely kitchen staples, all cooked in one pan. It can be served as a meat and potato main course or as a rich stew.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Entree
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 3/4 – 1 inch cubes (boneless, skinless chicken thighs can also be used)
- 1–2 onions, chopped
- 1–2 carrots, peeled and shredded (or cut into circles, or matchsticks)
- 4–6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 – 2 inch inch cubes
- butter, oil, for sauteing
- salt, pepper, dry bay leaf
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons dry herbs and spices, to taste (dry chives, granulated onion, garlic, coriander, chili seasoning, paprika, thyme, rosemary, parsley, etc.) (optional)
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups water
- Fresh herbs, parsley, chives, etc.
- Heat about 1 Tablespoon of oil in a medium pot and cook the meat on high heat until brown on both sides, seasoning with salt and pepper, make sure the meat is dry.
- Cook the meat in batches, so that there is room around each piece of meat. If you dump it all in, the meat will steam instead of getting a sear. Cook on high (or medium high at least) and don’t touch the meat until it releases by itself. Set the meat aside, melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in the same pot, (without washing it) and add onions, cooking on medium heat until tender.
- In the same skillet or pot, remove excess grease, leaving or adding about 1 Tablespoon of butter or oil. Add the onions, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 3 minutes, until it softens, scraping the bottom of the pot/skillet to release the fond. (If the skillet gets too brown, pour in a small amount of liquid, until all the bottom of the pot/skillet is clean.)
- Add the carrots, cooking on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cooking for another 30 seconds. Return the meat to the vegetables and mix everything to combine. Season with salt, ground black pepper and other spices and dry herbs to taste.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes and season with salt and ground black pepper. Add the potatoes to the pot/skillet, leaving the potatoes on top and not mixing them with the other ingredients.
- Pour in the water, so it’s barely covering the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, for 25-30 minutes, just until potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir gently, mixing the potatoes with the rest of the ingredients. Garnish with fresh herbs.
Keywords: how to braise potatoes, Braised potatoes, Braised potatoes with pork, Braised potatoes with chicken, Braised potatoes with meat and vegetables, Russian Braised Potatoes Recipe