Serving seafood whole is such a beautiful presentation and has minimal prep. The cavity of the fish is stuffed with lemon, onion, garlic and fresh herbs. As it roast, the fish is permeated all the way through with these aromatic ingredients. The cooked fish is really flaky, tender and juicy.
- 2 whole trout (10-12 oz each, cleaned and gutted)
- salt (pepper)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon (sliced)
- 1–2 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 small onion (very thinly sliced)
- fresh dill and parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make diagonal slashes on both sides of the fish.
- Place the fish on the prepared baking sheet. Season the fish with salt and pepper on both sides and in the inside cavity as well.
- Stuff the cavity of the fish with the slices of lemon, garlic, onion and herbs.
- Rub the olive oil over the top surface of both fish.
- Roast the fish in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Turn on the broiler and roast the fish for another 5-7 minutes, until golden and slightly charred in some places. Serve the fish whole, with a bit more olive oil and some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Yields: 2-4 servings