Zucchini, Corn and Black Bean Rice
Zucchini, Corn and Black Bean Rice is a great lunch or a fabulous side dish. The fresh corn and zucchini are sweet and juicy and the poblano pepper brings a tiny bit of heat. Black beans give this rice dish some earthiness and make it more filling, while the herbs and lime bring so much freshness and bright notes.
- Author: Olga's Flavor Factory
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Sides
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, minced (or 1/2 green bell pepper)
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly julienned
- 2 ears of corn (or use canned or frozen corn)
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice (I like basmati or jasmine)
- 2 1/4 cups boiling water
- 15 oz can of black beans
- 1–2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
- Before you start cooking the rest of the ingredients, put the water on to boil.
- Heat the oil in a large, high sided skillet or a Dutch oven. Add the onion, poblano, and garlic. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then add the zucchini. (Instead of julienning the zucchini, you can finely chop it or grate it.) Season with salt again and cook for just 2 minutes or so before adding the corn, rice, lime zest and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix everything together until the rice is completely coated in all the other ingredients, about 1 minute.
- Add the juice of half the lime. Pour in the boiling water, cover the skillet and immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat, turn off the heat.
- Let the rice stand, covered, for another 5 minutes, then fluff the rice with a fork and add the black beans and the fresh herbs, mixing gently to warm up the beans. Taste the rice and add the rest of the lime juice if needed.
Keywords: Zucchini, Corn and Black Bean Rice, How to Make Rice Pilaf, Rice With Vegetables, Mexican Rice With Vegetables and Beans