- 1 oz dry mushrooms
- 3–4 strips of bacon, sliced into small portions (lardons)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat
- 2 3/4 cups boiling water
- On a dry skillet over medium heat, roast the buckwheat until it’s a golden brown color.
- Re-hydrate the mushrooms by placing in a bowl and covering with hot water.Let it stand for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot, cook bacon over medium heat until golden brown and crispy. Transfer with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel.
- Pour out all the bacon grease, except 1 Tablespoon and cook the onion, seasoning with salt, in the same pot, over medium heat 5-8 min, covered, until soft and beginning to brown.
- Drain, rinse and chop the mushrooms.
- Add the butter, mushrooms and buckwheat. Roast for 2-4 min, until the buckwheat is aromatic.
- Pour in the boiling water, bring to a boil, season with salt, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 30 min, until the buckwheat has cooked through.
- Add the bacon to the kasha when adding the water or stir it in when the kasha is cooked.
- Add a slab of butter to the warm kasha when serving.