Roasted tomato sauce is extra flavorful because the tomatoes get caramelized, more concentrated and sweeter as they roast. Garlic, olive oil and herbs are the best flavor additions. This sauce is so easy to make and can be canned, refrigerated or frozen.
4 1/2 lbs tomatoes
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
salt, ground black pepper, to taste
fresh herbs – thyme, basil, parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the seeds out of the tomatoes. You can peel the tomatoes first, or leave the skin on.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes and place them on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and add the minced garlic and the thyme. Nestle the thyme in the tomatoes; it you leave them on top, the herbs will burn. Roast the tomatoes in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until the tomatoes are tender and are golden and charred in spots.
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor to your desisted consistency.
- Add fresh herbs and drizzle in more olive oil. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also freeze the sauce for 3-6 months.
Keywords: tomato sauce, how to make tomato sauce, roasted tomato sauce, how to roast tomatoes