- 8 oz. poppy seeds (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup (or 4 Tablespoons) butter
- 3/4 – 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Use a coffee grinder to process the poppy seeds. You will need to do this in several batches.
- Meanwhile heat the milk, butter, salt, and sugar on medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the milk is frothy.
- Slowly pour in a small amount of the hot milk into the eggs, whisking vigorously with the other hand. This is called tempering, which prevents the eggs from scrambling. When you’ve added about half of the milk to the eggs, pour the tempered mixture back into the saucepan and cook on medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, just like making pudding.
- Add the poppy seeds. Cool. The filling will thicken up as it cools. Store the filling in the refrigerator.