This version of the beloved Broccoli Cheddar soup is lightened up and packed with vegetables. It’s so creamy and rich in flavor but is healthy and delicious.
- 1 Tablespoon oil or butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 broccoli stalks, florets removed and the stalk peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 large potato (or 2 smaller potatoes), peeled and chopped
- 2 cup of cauliflower florets (about 1/2 of a medium cauliflower head)
- 1 small zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 5–6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- Prep all the vegetables. (Set aside about 1 1/2 cups of broccoli florets to be cooked separately and used as a garnish in soup later.)
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil and then add the onion, carrot and garlic. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chicken broth and add the potato. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for another 5-7 min.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat a drizzle of oil and cook the 1 1/2 cups of broccoli florets. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 1-2 minutes on medium high heat. Pour in 1/4 – 1/3 cups of water, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the broccoli is cooked through to the texture that you prefer.
- Add the remaining broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and tomatoes to the soup. Add more water or broth, it needed. Season with more salt and pepper to taste. You can also use some other spices and herbs for more flavor, if you want. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until all the vegetables are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup in the food processor in batches until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender.
- Return the pureed soup to the pot, add the cream and the cheese, if using. Mix to combine.
- Season to taste, if needed.
- Garnish with the sautéed broccoli.
- Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Broccoli Vegetable Soup, Creamy Broccoli and Vegetable Soup, Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup