Minestrone soup is hearty, comforting and packed with vegetables. My version is made with onion, carrots, celery garlic, potatoes, cabbage, beans, tomatoes and then topped with fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese.
- 1 – 1/2 Tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small cabbage head, cut into chunks
- 1 can (15 oz) red beans, such as kidney, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas or butter beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, with the liquid
- 8 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 2–4 cups water (more or less, depending on how thick/thin you like soup)
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- 1–2 dry bay leaves
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoons dry herbs, optional (such as Italian seasoning)
- Parmesan cheese, rind, plus grated for garnishing
- fresh herbs, for garnishing (parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, dill, etc)
- Prep all the vegetables. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven on medium heat, adding butter or oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook on medium low heat for 5-7 minutes, until all the vegetables soften. (If the bottom of the pot starts to get dry and the vegetables start to stick, add 1/4 cup of water, stir and continue cooking until the vegetables soften.
- Add the potatoes, cabbage, bay leaves, Parmesan rind and dry herbs, if using. Pour in the broth and some water, if you want to thin out the soup more. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Cover the pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the potatoes and cabbage are almost cooked through.
- Drain and rinse the beans and chickpeas, then add to the soup along with the canned tomatoes, including the liquid. Add more water, salt and pepper, if needed. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and continue cooking on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and Parmesan rind. Garnish the soup with fresh herbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
This recipe makes a big batch of soup, so feel free to halve the ingredients.
Keywords: minestrone soup