Apple Cheesecake Cinnamon Buns are tender and fluffy cinnamon rolls, filled with a generous portion of cream cheese, apples and walnuts.
- 2/3 cup warm milk (105–110 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 Tablespoons (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (8 oz) packages (16 oz total) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup granulated sugar (+ a few extra Tablespoons to sprinkle the top of the buns)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2–3 apples, peeled and chopped finely
- 3/4 – 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2–3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- egg wash (1 egg + 1 1/2 Tablespoons water)
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk and add about a teaspoon of the sugar that you’ll be adding to the whole dough. Mix it a little and let it stand for about 5 minutes until it foams.
- Combine the yeast mixture, the remaining sugar, melted butter, 2 beaten eggs together in a large bowl.
- Add the flour and salt and mix the dough in a standing mixer, the bread machine using the dough setting or by hand until the dough comes together. Knead for 3-5 minutes, until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover and let it stand in a warm place to rise until it doubles, for about 1 -1 1/2 hours. I usually tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap, which prevents the dough from drying up, and then wrap it in a heated blanket.
- Meanwhile make the cheese filling, peel and chop the apples and chop the walnuts.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil or line it with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half of the dough into an 11 X 15 inch rectangle.
- Spread half of the cheese filling over the surface of the dough, leaving about a 1/2 inch border around the edges. Sprinkle half of the apples, half of the walnuts and half of the cinnamon over the cheese filling.
- Starting at the long side, roll dough, pressing lightly, to form a tight log. Place the log seam-side down and cut evenly in half and then each half into 8 pieces, for a total of 16 buns.
- Place the buns onto the prepared baking sheet. Set aside to rise in a warm place, about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, repeat with the remaining dough and the remaining filling ingredients. In total you will get about 32 buns.
- Brush the risen buns with the egg wash and sprinkle them with some sugar on top.
- If you want the buns to be thicker and fluffier, like typical cinnamon buns, you can use the entire amount of dough and not roll it out as thinly and then continue with the other steps. You might not need to use as much of the filling ingredients. You will have less buns, but they will be thicker and fluffier.
- Bake the shaped buns that have risen for 30-40 minutes in the preheated (350 degrees Fahrenheit) oven for 18-25 minutes, depending on how thick you rolled out the buns.
- Store the buns at room temperature for 3-5 days, in a covered container/dish.
Keywords: Apple Cheesecake Cinnamon Buns, Cinnamon Rolls, Cinnamon Buns With Apples and Cream Cheese