Butternut Squash Cake Roll
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 cake roll 1x
- Category: Sweets
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½–1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 – 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, very cold
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 15 x 10 inch rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and spray it with oil or melted butter.
- In a large bowl of a standing mixer with whisk attachment or hand mixer, beat the eggs until fluffy, gradually adding the sugar. You want to whisk the eggs for about 5 minutes. Stir in the butternut squash.
- I cut the butternut squash into cubes and steamed it until they were fork tender. Then I mashed the butternut squash with a potato masher. You can also use canned pumpkin instead of the butternut squash.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Fold it into the cake batter. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 13-15 min.
- Turn the cake over onto a clean kitchen towel and take off the aluminum foil/parchment paper. Roll the cake roll up in the towel while still hot, starting with the short side. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a large bowl of a standing mixer with a whisk attachment or using a hand mixer, mix the softened cream cheese, the powdered sugar and the vanilla until smooth. (Use as much sugar as you prefer.) Pour in the heavy cream and start whisking on low and gradually increase the speed to high until the frosting is thick and fluffy.
- Carefully unroll the cake roll and spread the frosting over the cake roll and roll it back together. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.