- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top of the pastries
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 sheets of prepared puff pastry dough
- 1 egg, for egg wash, plus 1 Tablespoon of water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla until smooth in consistency.
- Cut each sheet of dough into 6 (3 inch x 4 inch) pieces.
- Whisk the whole egg and 1 Tablespoon of water and brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of filling in the middle of each pastry.
- Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges with your fingers.
- Use a fork and press down all around the edges to crimp shut, creating a rectangular shape.
- With a sharp knife, make some slashes across the top of the pastries.
- Brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Arrange the pastries on a parchment – lined, rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.