The tender and flaky golden brown galette filled with cherries and apples is absolutely gorgeous. It’s absolutely divine served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to bring it over the top.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) butter, cubed and chilled
- 4 – 5 Tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 lbs cherries, about 4 cups
- 1–2 apples (1 large or 2 small), any kind of apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon red wine, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter, chilled and finely chopped
- egg wash (1 egg+1 1/2 Tablespoons water, whisked together)
- In a standing mixer, combine the flour, salt and flour, pulsing lightly just until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition of water. Keep adding water until the dough just begins to gather into larger clumps.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrapping it in parchment paper or aluminum foil and then place in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- I usually make pie dough the night before or even make some to have on hand. Keep it in the refrigerator up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. If I make pie dough, I ALWAYS make at least 2 crusts, since it takes absolutely no extra effort. Then I have an extra pie crust on hand to make pies or even a delicious Quiche Lorraine.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the pits from the cherries. I found this handy cherry pitter at Aldi for less than $5. The juice from the cherries with stain your hands and clothes, so keep that in mind. I actually use gloves to do this, since it makes your hands look pretty awful, and I’m not usually picky about such things.
- The apples need to be chopped pretty finely, so that they will be cooked through all the way. You can make them bigger, just slice them thinly.
- In a large bowl, combine the cherries, apples, sugar, red wine, cinnamon, cornstarch and mix to combine. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into approximately a 14 inch circle. Place it on top of a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the cherry and apple filling and place in on the center of the dough, mounding it slightly in the center, leaving about a 2 inch border around the edge. Leave behind all the juices that accumulate on the bottom of the bowl.
- Fold the rim of the dough up and over the edge of the filling, overlapping the dough as you go around and pleat the dough.
- Dot the top of the galette with the cubed butter, placing it on top of the fruit. Brush the dough with the egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 55-60 minutes.
- The galette is SO good served warm with ice cream; it’s an absolutely incredible combination.
Keywords: Cherry and Apple Galette, How to make a galette, How to make a cherry apple galette, galette recipe, cherry and apple dessert