This tender yeast bread is filled with generous swirls of sweet poppy seed filling. These roulettes are a popular Russian dessert.
- 2/3 cup warm milk (105–115 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 stick (8 Tablespoons) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Poppy Seed Filling
- egg wash (1 egg plus 1 Tablespoon water or milk, lightly beaten)
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk and add about a teaspoon of the sugar that you’ll be adding to the whole dough. Mix it a little and let it stand for about 5 minutes until it foams.
- Combine the yeast mixture, the remaining sugar, melted butter and 2 beaten eggs together in a large bowl.
- Add the flour and mix the dough in a standing mixer, the bread machine using the dough setting or by hand until the dough comes together.
- Cover and let it stand in a warm place to rise until it doubles, for about 1 -1½ hours.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out each portion into a rectangle about 14 inches x 9 inches.
- Spread out about 1/2 cup of the poppy seed filling over the surface of the rolled out dough, leaving a border around the edges free of the filling so that you will be able to close the seams together.
- Beginning with long edge nearest you, roll dough into a taut cylinder. Pinch the ends together and lay the roulette seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush with the egg wash and let them rise for another 30 minutes to an hour, until they double in size. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
Keywords: Poppy Seed Roll, Poppy Seed Roulette, How to Make a Poppy Seed Roll, Russian Poppy Seed Roulette, Poppy Seed Yeast Bread