This popular Russian recipe for Zebra Cake is a chocolate and vanilla marbled tender coffeecake with a chocolate glaze.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate Glaze:
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tablespoons sour cream
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or butter a 9-inch springform pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes, using a standing mixer or hand-held mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add to the batter and mix just until combined, be careful not to overmix it. Divide the batter in half and set aside half of it in another bowl. Sift the cocoa powder into the batter still in the mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Scoop out a portion of the vanilla batter and put it in the center of the baking pan. Scoop out an equal portion of the chocolate batter and put it directly on top of the vanilla batter. Continue interchanging the different batters, always spooning batter into centers of pans, and occasionally tapping pan firmly on the work surface to ensure even distribution, until all batter is used (batters should appear as concentric rings).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, until the cake, is baked through, or a toothpick comes out clean if you poke it in the center of the cake. Cool for 5 minutes and then take it out of the baking pan and onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate glaze.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients EXCEPT the butter, while they are still cold.
- Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil, simmer for a few minutes, until the sugar dissolves and the glaze is a syrupy consistency. Whisk in the butter.
- Pour the warm chocolate glaze over the cake, letting it drizzle down the sides. Place it on a serving plate and store at room temperature.
This cake freezes really well too. Wrap it well, without the glaze, in the freezer, for up to 6 months.
Keywords: Zebra Cake, Russian Zebra Cake, Chocolate and Vanilla Marble Cake, Chocolate and Vanilla Coffeecake