A broiled steak is the perfect method to cooking a steak in the oven, charred and crisp on the outside and still juicy on the inside. Don’t miss the delicious flavored butter to serve with the steak.
- 4 steaks , 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 inches, strip or ribeye (preferably at least 2 inches)
- salt, ground black pepper, to season the steaks on both sides
- 2 – 3 cups salt, to line the bottom of the baking sheet
Flavored Butter – Lemon Herb:
- 1 stick (8 Tablespoons butter) softened to room temperature
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1/2 Tablespoon juice from 1 small lemon
- salt, pepper, to taste
- Pat the steaks dry on paper towels on both sides.
- Season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the flavored butter. In a medium skillet, heat about 1/2 Tablespoon of the butter, then add the shallots and garlic, season with salt and cook for just a few minutes, until tender and starting to turn golden. Cool slightly. Add the cooked shallots and garlic, along with the lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley and thyme to the remaining butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix to combine. She the butter into a log and wrap in parchment paper, plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Chill. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Preheat the oven to broil, 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Set the oven rack to be right below the broiling unit or the one just below it.
- Spread out 2-3 cups of salt on the bottom of a large rimmed baking sheet. Set a rack on top of the layer of salt and place the steaks on top of the rack. The steaks should not be touching the salt.
- Broil for 2-4 minutes, flip the steak over and broil for another 2-4 minutes. If you are using steaks that are thinner than 2 inches, broil for 2 minutes, if you are using thicker steaks than 2 inches, broil for 4 minutes.
- Continue broiling for 2-4 minutes per side, flipping the steaks over, until the meat is 125 degrees on an instant read thermometer for a medium rare steak, 130 degrees for medium well, and 140 for well done.
- Let the steaks rest for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. Top the steaks with flavored butter.
Keywords: how to broil steak, how to cook steak in the oven, broiled steak