Creamy Shrimp Chowder
This Creamy Shrimp Chowder is one of the easiest seafood chowders to make. The creamy and cheesy broth has potatoes, aromatic vegetables and fresh herbs.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soups
- 8 cups water (or you can use vegetable broth)
- 1 packages (6-8 oz each) spreadable cheese wedges, Laughing Cow or President’s cheese
- 1 package of brie cheese wheel (8 oz)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1–2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced or finely diced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1–2 dry bay leaves
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 – 1 Tablespoon dry herbs and spices, such as, Trader Joe’s Onion salt, Old Bay seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, dry parsley, chives, shallots, etc.
- fresh herbs, minced (parsley, chives, dill, etc)
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Meanwhile, peel the spreadable cheese wedges. Cut the rind off the brie cheese and chop it into small cubes. (discard the rind)
- Prep the vegetables. Chop the onion, grate the carrot, slice/finely dice the celery and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
- Add the cheese wedges to the boiling water and use a whisk to mix, until all the cheese is dissolved. Add the cubes of brie cheese. The brie cheese won’t melt completely but will soften.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and bay leaves to the chowder. Season to taste with salt and pepper and any combination of dry herbs and spices that you like. Cook, simmering on medium low heat for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the shrimp. Peel and devein, if needed.
- Add the shrimp to the soup. Cook for about 5 minutes, just until shrimp is pink. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp. As soon as it turns pink take off the heat.
- Discard the bay leaf, garnish with fresh herbs.
Keywords: shrimp chowder, shrimp soup, creamy shrimp chowder