Fish patties are a great way to include fish on your menu in a creative way. They are really flavorful and juicy, with tender chunks of fish.
- Author: Olga's Flavor Factory
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 12-14 patties 1x
- Category: Entree
- 1 1/2 lbs fish (any kind that you like, cod, haddock, grouper, halibut, tilapia, salmon, etc.)
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter or oil, for sauteing the onion and celery
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- salt, ground black pepper
- fresh herbs (parsley, dill, chives) minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, for dredging the patties
- oil, for pan frying (avocado oil or light olive oil)
- Place the fish in a food processor and pulse a few times until the fish is cut up into small pieces. The fish should not be mushy and pureed, rather have a coarse texture, and be flaky. You can also put it through a meat grinder or cut it into really small pieces.
- You can use just about any fish that you like. For this recipe, I like to use white fish and cod is one of my favorites.
- Mince the celery and the onion. Heat the butter or oil in a skillet, add the onion and celery, season with salt and pepper and saute them in the skillet for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the celery, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, 3/4 – 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and herbs to the fish. Mix to combine.
- Place the flour into a shallow bowl. Form small patties from the fish mixture, dredge them in the flour and set aside. I usually get about 14 patties.
- Set a large sauté pan over medium high heat, add about 1 1/2 Tablespoons of oil and heat until shimmering. Sauté the fish patties until they are golden brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes a side. Cook in batches, wiping out the skillet clean and adding fresh oil each time, until all the patties are cooked.
- Serve hot. If you are reheating the fish patties, place them in a skillet on low heat, with about 1/2 Tablespoon of water. Cook on low heat, covered, until the fish patties are heated all the way through.
Keywords: fish patties, fish patties with cod, easy fish recipe