Italian Wedding Soup
Italian wedding soup is so comforting and easy to make. With kale, pasta and tiny, juicy meatballs, this soup is such a treat.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Soups
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1–2 celery stalk, sliced or finely chopped
- 3–6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine (sauvignon blanc)
- 1/2 cup small pasta (orzo, ditalini, etc)
- 4 cups chopped kale, packed
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1–2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 6 oz ground beef
- 6 oz ground pork
- 1/2 onion, finely grated
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prep all the ingredients. Chop the onion (s), carrots, celery and mince the garlic. For the kale, remove the center stem and chop the leafy green leaves.
- To make the meatballs, mix all the ingredients in a small or medium bowl. (Let the bread crumbs soak in the milk for about 5 minutes first.)
- With dampened hands, shape them into small meatballs, about 1/2 Tablespoon each. You should have 55-60 tiny meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large pot, then add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Saute until the veggies are softened, about 8 minutes, on medium heat.
- Pour in the chicken broth, water and white wine. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pasta and the meatballs. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the pasta and the meatballs are almost cooked through. Add the kale. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish the soup with fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: Italian wedding soup, easy meatball and pasta soup,