This plum coffee cake is a tender and fluffy sponge cake, packed with juicy and sweet plums. It’s quick and easy to make and a perfect treat to go along with a cup of coffee.
- 6 medium plums, pitted and slide into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use butter or oil to grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Cut each plum into 1/2 inch thick slices. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer with a whisk attachment or using a hand mixer, mix the eggs, gradually adding the sugar until pale and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and lemon zest; mix to combine.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the batter and carefully fold it into the egg mixture, trying not to deflate the eggs as much as possible.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the prepared plums. As you arrange the plums on top of the batter, some of them will become submerged in the batter and some may stay more towards the top of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, until the cake is completely baked through in the center. I use a wooden skewer to check for doneness. It should come out completely clean, with no batter on the skewer.
- Cool for about 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Store the cake at room temperature, covered slightly with a clean kitchen towel, for 1-2 days.
If you want to take the cake out of the baking pan, line it with parchment paper before pouring the batter into the baking pan.
Instead of plums, you can also use sliced nectarines or peaches, also cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. You can also use berries.
Keywords: sponge cake with plums, plum cake, plum coffee cake