Easy Scalloped Potatoes
These easy scalloped potatoes are rich, creamy and divine. Perfect for holidays and special occasions, this homemade version is worth a try.
- Author: Olga's Flavor Factory
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Sides
- 4 pounds potatoes (I prefer gold/yellow), sliced into 1/8 inches
- 1 medium/large onion, finely chopped
- 3–6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon dry herbs & spices (granulated onion/garlic, dry chives, green onions, parsley, thyme, etc.)
- 1–2 dry bay leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese (Mozzarella, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, Parmesan, Provolone, etc.)
- 1 cup potato chips, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and slice the potatoes into 1/8 inch thin slices. If you have a mandoline or a slicing option on your food processor, now is the time to use it, or just use a knife. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. Grate the cheese.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large pot. Add the minced onion and cook until tender and slightly golden, seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, milk, heavy cream, dry herbs, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper, about 2-2 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium-low heat until the potatoes are about 3/4 way cooked through, 10-15 minutes. Make sure to stir the potatoes frequently, so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- Discard the bay leaves. Pour everything into a 13 X 9 inch baking dish and even it out. Top with crushed grated cheese and crushed potato chips.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, in the preheated oven, until bubbly and cheese is melted and golden. After 15 minutes, I like to increase the heat to 425 F and continue baking for an additional 5-8 minutes so the cheese gets more golden and crisp.
- Serve hot, waiting 10-15 minutes for it to cool off. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, tightly covered.
- You can make this dish ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it. Allow it to come to room temperature, at least 15-20 minutes, before putting in the oven. You may need to bake it 5-10 extra minutes.
Keywords: easy scalloped potatoes, homemade scalloped potatoes