Adjika is a popular European side dish from the Georgian cuisine that can be compared to a tomato pepper salsa, cooked with carrots, apples and garlic to make a savory, slightly sweet and spicy condiment or sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 mins
- Yield: 12 cups 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 2 1/2 lbs tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb apples, cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1–2 hot peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic head, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup salt
- 1/3 cup oil (sunflower, olive, grape seed, avocado etc.)
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and apples.
- Grind in a meat grinder or use your food processor until it has a salsa-like consistency.
- Place in a big stockpot or heavy-bottomed Dutch oven and cook, simmering and covered for an hour.
- Add the vinegar, salt, sugar, and garlic. Cook for another 15 – 20 minutes.
- Distribute the adzhika into clear jars and close with lids.
- Sterilize the jars if you want to store them at room temperature for months, or refrigerate.
Keywords: Adjika, how to make adjika, adzhika, tomato and pepper salsa