Panna Cotta With Blueberries
Smooth, cool and refreshing this creamy gelatin dessert is a perfect treat for the warmer months. Flavored with lemon zest and served with pineapple, blueberries and other berries, the juicy and sweet fruit are the perfect combination to accompany the panna cotta dessert.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 21 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Sweets
- 1 cup milk
- 5 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 16 oz. (2 cups) sour cream
- 12 oz. (1 1/2 cups) heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1–2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple (for serving ONLY)
- other fruit: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, chopped peaches, etc. as a garnish
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the milk, mix and allow to stand for 5 minutes, until the gelatin blooms.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the sour cream, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest using a whisk attachment on a stand mixer or using a hand mixer. Start mixing on low speed and eventually increase the speed to high until it’s a thick mixture.
- When the gelatin softens and is “bloomed”, place the milk and gelatin mixture in the microwave for 1 minute or heat in a small saucepan on very low heat, just until the gelatin melts. Do NOT boil. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Pour in the milk and gelatin mixture into the large bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix to combine. Add the blueberries and gently fold them in. I usually use 1/2 a pint in the dessert and use the other half to serve as a garnish. You can also use any other kind of berries or fruit that you like. Do NOT add the pineapple to the creamy gelatin mixture, or else your dessert will not set.
- Pour the dessert into some sort of mold. I used my bread pan, but you can use a bundt pan or any kind of deep dish. You can also make individual portions.
- Refrigerate until set. There is a good amount of gelatin in the dessert, so it sets fairly quickly, about 1-2 hours. This is an ideal dessert to make the night before you are planning to serve it.
- To serve, pour some hot water into a large pan or into the sink and dunk the bottom of your pan into the hot water for 30 seconds or so. Invert the pan onto a plate and the dessert should slide right out.
- Serve with fresh chopped pineapple and more berries.
Keywords: pana cotta, creamy gelatin dessert with blueberries, lemon and pineapple, no bake dessert