Marinated Shrimp Appetizers are the most delicious appetizer. The shrimp is bursting with the flavor of the zesty marinade with lemon, garlic, shallots and herbs punctuating each bite.
To Cook the Shrimp:
12 cups water
1 cup white wine, optional
2 dry bay leaves
1/2 bunch fresh parsley
1/2 Tablespoon black peppercorns
salt (3/4 – 1 Tablespoon)
4 lbs raw shrimp
3 medium shallots, sliced
2–4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tablespoon dry mustard powder (or 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2–3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1–2 Tablespoons minced parsley
1/2 Tablespoon basil,chopped
salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot, pour in the water, white wine and add the bay leaves, parsley, peppercorns and salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the shrimp and bring it to a boil. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the shrimp is cooked through and pink. If you are using smaller shrimp, they will only take 1-2 minutes to cook through. Larger shrimp will take 3-5 minutes to cook through.
- Drain the shrimp. Cool and peel.
- Place the cooked and peeled shrimp into a large bowl and add all the marinade ingredients – shallots, garlic, mustard, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Mix to combine.
- You can serve the shrimp right away, but for the best results, marinate it in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.
Keywords: marinated shrimp, cold shrimp appetizer, pickled shrimp, lemon garlic shrimp, shallot and herb shrimp