This simple and comforting Instant Pot dinner made with potatoes, sausage, peppers and onion comes together so quickly and is a wonderful all in one meal. The tender potatoes soak up the flavors of the rich broth with the sausage and aromatic vegetables.
1 – 1 ½ Tablespoons oil (avocado, grapeseed, vegetable, olive, etc.)
12 oz – 1 lb. sausage (any type of sausage, meatballs, or kielbasa), cut into pieces
1 large onion, chopped
4–6 garlic cloves, minced
1 bell pepper, cut into medium pieces (1 – 1 1/2 inch pieces)
2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks, 1 1/2 – 2 inch pieces ( I prefer yellow potatoes for this recipe)
Salt, ground black pepper, to taste
Dry herbs, such as granulated onion and garlic, dry chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc., also to taste
1/2 – 1 teaspoons paprika
1–2 bay leaves
2 – 2 ½ cups of boiling water or broth
Fresh herbs, to garnish (parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill, green onions, etc.)
- Prep all the ingredients. Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 1/2 – 2 inch pieces. Cut the sausage into bite sized pieces. Chop the onion, cut the bell pepper into 1 – 1 1/2 inch pieces, peel and mince the garlic and chop the parsley. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Season the potatoes with salt, pepper and dry herbs. Mix to combine.
- Turn on the Sauté function on the Instant Pot and heat the oil until it gets hot. Add the sausage and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until the onions are tender and slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, leaving them on top, not mixing them in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour in the boiling water or broth. It should barely cover the potatoes, leaving the top potatoes not covered.
- Turn on the Manual Mode or Pressure Cook option on the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 5-7 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Release the pressure manually very carefully.
- Garnish the potatoes with fresh herbs and serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Keywords: braised potatoes, potatoes and sausage dinner, potatoes and sausage with peppers and onions, instant pot potatoes and sausage