This simple and comforting Instant Pot dinner made with potatoes, sausage, peppers and onion comes together so quickly and is a wonderful all in one meal.
These potatoes remind me so much of Braised Potatoes that I often make with chicken or pork, but using sausage makes it so much easier and faster. The potatoes soak up the flavors of the smoky sausage and the aromatic onions, garlic and bell peppers. The dry and fresh herbs give it both hearty and fresh flavors.
It cooks so quickly in the Instant Pot and doesn’t take a lot of prep work either. The leftovers reheat really well too, so I usually make a big batch so we can enjoy it two nights in a row.
Watch Video of Instant Pot Potatoes and Sausage Dinner With Peppers and Onions:
Potatoes: You can use any potatoes that you like; I usually use gold potatoes.
Oil: You don’t need a lot of oil in this recipe, just enough to sauté the sausage and onion. You can use any oil – avocado, grapeseed, vegetable, olive or even ghee or coconut oil.
Sausage: My favorite sausage to use is Aidell’s Chicken and Apple sausage, but any sausage will work – already cooked sausage, like Polish kielbasa or fresh sausage that needs to be cooked. You can use different types of sausage to change up the flavor.
Bell Pepper: any color of bell peppers will work well. Yellow, orange or red bell peppers will be sweeter and have more flavor, but you can also use green peppers is you like them. You can also add some hot peppers, like jalapeños, to add a bit of a kick and heat to the meal.
Onion, Garlic: These aromatic veggies are a must.
Herbs and spices: Bay leaves are wonderful in comforting meals like this. I also use dry herbs such as granulated onion and garlic, dry chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc. Paprika goes really well here too. Use a combination of any herbs and spices that you like. I also fresh herbs after everything is done cooking. Parsley, dill, green onions, thyme, rosemary, basil will all be great additions.
Chicken Broth: Instead of chicken broth, you can also use beef or vegetable broth too.
How to Prepare Potatoes and Sausage Dinner in the Instant Pot:
- Prep all the ingredients before you start cooking. Cut the sausage, peel and cut the potatoes, chop the onions, bell peppers, peel and mince the garlic, chop the fresh herbs.
- Bring the broth to a boil. This is an important step because heating up the broth gives a head start to the cooking process.
- Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, dry herbs, spices and paprika and mix them together in a large bowl.
- Using the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot, heat the oil and then add the sausage and peppers. Cook until the onions are soft and tender.
- Add the garlic, sauté for about a minute, then add the bell peppers and bay leaves.
- Season all the veggies in stages, so that each layer and step is seasoned well.
- Add the potatoes to the top of the Instant Pot, leaving it there without mixing it. This will help the potatoes to retain their shape and texture better.
- Pour in the hot broth. You can use more or less broth, depending on the consistency of the final meal that you want.
- Cover the Instant Pot with the lid, making sure the sealing ring is inside the lid and then turn the valve to “Sealing”.
- Cook on Manual Mode or Pressure Cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes. Let it stand for about 5 minutes, then very carefully release the pressure manually, turning the valve away from you, releasing the pressure slowly and intermittently.
- Mix together, discard the bay leaves and garnish with fresh herbs.
Serving and Reheating:
The potatoes are wonderful served as both a main dish or a stew, so you can use a slotted spoon and leave behind more of the cooking liquid, or spoon out more of the liquid to give this meal a stew consistency.
It reheats really well, so you can store it in your refrigerator for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop (my favorite!).
What to Serve on the Side:
- Sour Cream Spring Garden Salad (our family favorite to serve with this meal)
- Crunchy Cabbage Cucumber Salad
- Dill Pickles
- Garlic Dill Cucumbers
- Garden Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
Instant Pot Potatoes and Sausage Dinner With Pepper and Onion
This simple and comforting Instant Pot dinner made with potatoes, sausage, peppers and onion comes together so quickly and is a wonderful all in one meal. The tender potatoes soak up the flavors of the rich broth with the sausage and aromatic vegetables.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
1 – 1 ½ Tablespoons oil (avocado, grapeseed, vegetable, olive, etc.)
12 oz – 1 lb. sausage (any type of sausage, meatballs, or kielbasa), cut into pieces
1 large onion, chopped
4–6 garlic cloves, minced
1 bell pepper, cut into medium pieces (1 – 1 1/2 inch pieces)
2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks, 1 1/2 – 2 inch pieces ( I prefer yellow potatoes for this recipe)
Salt, ground black pepper, to taste
Dry herbs, such as granulated onion and garlic, dry chives, parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc., also to taste
1/2 – 1 teaspoons paprika
1–2 bay leaves
2 – 2 ½ cups of boiling water or broth
Fresh herbs, to garnish (parsley, thyme, rosemary, dill, green onions, etc.)
- Prep all the ingredients. Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 1/2 – 2 inch pieces. Cut the sausage into bite sized pieces. Chop the onion, cut the bell pepper into 1 – 1 1/2 inch pieces, peel and mince the garlic and chop the parsley. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Season the potatoes with salt, pepper and dry herbs. Mix to combine.
- Turn on the Sauté function on the Instant Pot and heat the oil until it gets hot. Add the sausage and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until the onions are tender and slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, leaving them on top, not mixing them in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour in the boiling water or broth. It should barely cover the potatoes, leaving the top potatoes not covered.
- Turn on the Manual Mode or Pressure Cook option on the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 5-7 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Release the pressure manually very carefully.
- Garnish the potatoes with fresh herbs and serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Keywords: braised potatoes, potatoes and sausage dinner, potatoes and sausage with peppers and onions, instant pot potatoes and sausage