Cabbage salads can sometimes be soggy, limp and loaded with mayonnaise. What I love the most about this salad is how fresh it tastes and how crunchy it is. The corn, cucumber and apple all give it that crunch and adding the dressing at the last minute makes sure that the cabbage won’t wilt either. The bright flavors are accented by the cucumber and the apple brings a nice note of sweetness to the party. My mom dressed most salads with a dressing based mostly on sour cream, sometimes adding a bit of mayonnaise for balance and that’s just what I did here.
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 greeen cabbage head, shredded
2 small cucumbers, julienned
1 ear of corn, kernels removes
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and julienned
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
salt, ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, parsley, dill, cilantro, etc.
Shred or finely chop the cabbage. Julienne the cucumbers and the apple. Cut the corn kernels off the ear of corn. Chop the fresh herbs. I usually start chopping all the ingredients and layer them in a large or medium sized mixing bowl, with the apples last and then pour the freshly squeezed lemon juice over the apples before I toss all the ingredients together. This insures that the apples won’t brown.
Dress with sour cream and mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper. Keep refrigerated.
Crunchy Cabbage Cucumber Salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sides
- 1/2 green cabbage head, shredded
- 2 small cucumbers, julienned
- 1 ear of corn, kernels removes (about 1 cup)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and julienned
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- salt, pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Shred or finely chop the cabbage.
- Julienne the cucumbers and the apple.
- Cut the corn kernels off the ear of corn. Chop the fresh herbs.
- Toss all the chopped ingredients together.
- Dress with sour cream, mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.