This Strawberry Mousse Cake is a showstopper. The fluffy sponge cake layers are brushed with a strawberry liqueur syrup and laced with a creamy and luscious strawberry mousse frosting in between the cake layers.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberry liquer
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons gelatin
- 2 pints strawberries, plus more to garnish the cake
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 5 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Bake 4 layers of sponge cake. Cool the cakes and cut each cake layer in half horizontally.
- Cool the cakes completely. If your cake levels aren’t perfectly straight, use a serrated knife to even them out a bit. Even when mine are even, I still cut a thin layer off the top and use it to make crumbs to use on the side of the cake.
The Strawberry Syrup:
- Combine the water, sugar and strawberry liquer in a small saucepan.
- Heat it on on medium heat just until the sugar dissolves. Set aside to cool.
The Strawberry Mousse:
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside to bloom for about 5-10 minutes.
- Hull the strawberries and cut them in half or thirds.
- Pulse them in the food processor along with the sugar. The amount of sugar will depend on how sweet the berries are and how sweet you prefer the cake to be.
- Heat the bloomed gelatin in the microwave for about 20 seconds or in a small saucepan on the stovetop, just until melted. Do NOT boil.
- In a chilled bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Add the pureed strawberries and the melted gelatin. Gently fold it all together with a rubber spatula until evenly combined.
- Set the mousse aside in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes or so until the mousse starts to thicken.
Assembling the Cake:
- Line your cake platter with aluminum foil all around. Brush each cake layer with the strawberry syrup.
- Top each cake layer with the strawberry mousse. Frost the top of the cake and the sides of the cake.
- Decorate the cake with more strawberries and coat the sides of the cake with the reserved cake crumbs. Gently remove the aluminum foil from underneath the cake.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator.