One of my favorite really easy desserts to bake is Apple Sharlotka, which is very similar to a coffeecake, with a sponge cake texture that is full of thinly sliced apples. It’s quick to make and is a perfect dessert for brunch, with tea or anytime you want to treat your family.
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 5–6 large apples, (I like Granny Smith)
- powdered sugar, to sprinkle on top, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use butter or oil to grease a 10 inch round cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. You can also use a baking spray instead of the butter/oil. Spray the top of the parchment paper also.
- You can also use a 9 X 13 inch baking dish instead of a 10 inch round cake pan to bake the Apple Sharlotka.
- Peel the apples and slice them thinly. You can cut them longer, but make sure to slice them thinly, so that they bake through while that cake is baking.
If you slice them too thick, the apples will still be crunchy in the cake. Place the sliced apples into the prepared cake pan.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until they are pale yellow and foamy, at least 5 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract to the batter. Lemon zest is another delicious flavor addition to the Apple Sharlotka. Lemons and apples pair really well together. The lemon zest gives a delicate citrus aroma and flavor to the cake.
- Dissolve the baking soda in vinegar and add to the batter also. Mix to combine.
Add the flour to the batter and use a spatula to gently fold it into the batter, just until the flour is incorporated. Try to keep the batter airy and avoid mixing too vigorously so that you don’t deflate the batter too much. If the batter deflates, the cake will be dense, not fluffy and light.
- Pour the batter over the apples and distribute evenly over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, until the sharlotka is golden, or when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Run an offset spatula or thin knife around the edges of the cake pan. Flip the cake over onto a cooling rack. The parchment paper will peel right off.
Flip it over right side up. Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Place the Sharlotka onto a serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar. You can also sprinkle it with a bit of cinnamon if you like.
How to Store Apple Sharlotka:
Store the Apple Sharlotka at room temperature, lightly covered.
Keywords: Apple Sharlotka, How to Make Apple Sharlotka, Russian Apple Sharlotka, Apple Coffeecake, Apple Cake, Apple Dessert